Why Are You Still Single and Thanksgiving Dinner
There is always a relative that wants to know the minute they see you why you are still single. You may only see them at the holidays but you know exactly what is coming. For me it was my Aunt Sandra. I don’t know what was worse, her asking the single question or her having a discussion with a new boyfriend that I did bring home. She was also that aunt that always had someone to set me up with. I was way too smart for this but my sister fell for it a couple of times. Here are some thoughts to consider…
- Don’t be aggravated this it is their anxiety or their issue. For some reason they think that you being in a relationship is so important. You could have a great new career but they don’t care. They will feel better if you are dating someone. This is almost laughable. If you can come to expect it and make a joke in your head about it you will be entertained and not annoyed.
- Put it on them…Ask them if they know why you are still single. Most will say you are too picky! This isn’t because you are too picky. This is because they are anxious that you are single and think you should sacrifice all deal breakers just to have a relationship. Ask them if they would be happier if you were in a miserable relationship.
- Share something to shock them…Perhaps I am terrible in bed, or do you think it is because my butt is too fat? If you shock them or make them uncomfortable with your reaction they are unlikely to talk about it again.
- If this really bothers you be honest. You can say I don’t like being single either but haven’t been able to figure out how to do it. Instead of being angry or aggravated just be real.
- NEVER let this relative set you up. They are so eager to see you with someone they unlikely don’t retain the things that matter most to you in a match. You will say you want a guy that is in great shape. This crazy aunt will rationalize that because he played football in college 20 years ago he is a good match.She will exaggerate both of you in an effort to relieve her anxiety about you being single.